||UCLA Smart Grid Energy Research Center (SMERC)
The UCLA Smart Grid Energy Research Center (or SMERC) performs research, creates innovations, and, demonstrates advanced wireless/communications, Internet and sense-and-control technologies to enable the development of the next generation of the electric utility grid - The Smart Grid.
SMERC also provides thought leadership via partnerships between utilities, government, policy makers, technology providers, electric vehicle and electric appliance manufacturers, Department of Energy research labs and universities, so as to collectively work on envisioning, planning, and executing the smart grid of the future.
The smart grid of the future will allow for integration of renewable energy sources, and will reduce losses, improve efficiencies, increase grid flexibility, reduce power outages, allow for competitive electricity pricing, allow for integration of electric vehicles, and overall become more responsive to market, consumer and societal needs.
SMERC is currently working on the topics of Electric Vehicle Integration (G2V and V2G), Automated Demand Response (ADR), Microgrids, and Distributed and Renewable Integration, and Energy Storage Integration.
||Where is SMERC?
UCLA Smart Grid Energy Research Center (SMERC) is located at:
44-120 Engr. IV Building
420 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA. 90095
Click on the address below to get directions via Google Maps.
420 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
From the 405 freeway Exit Wilshire Blvd going east
- Make a left on Westwood Blvd, follow the street until you come to the parking kiosk (kiosk will be on your left hand side)
- 420 is located directly across (on your right hand side) from the kiosk and immediately to the left of the lot 9 structure
Once you have made it to the UCLA Campus
- We are located in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science building on the 4th floor
a. The building is located right next to the parking lot 9 structure
- Once you enter the double doors (they are located on the lot 9 side of the building) the elevators are to your right
- When you get off of the elevator on the 4th floor make a left
a. Enter the 2nd door on the left (46-147) labeled Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Dept
- Once in the door SMERC's office is the 3rd on the right (46-147N)
Lot 9 is closest to our facility but there are two other options: lot 8 which is located directly across from lot 9 on Westwood Plaza**to park in lot 8 or 9 you will need to pay at the parking kiosk**